1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I'm not a yarn snob but I like to use the right yarn for the project. For most of my projects I like to use good, classic hard-wearing yarns that are still soft to the touch; Galway Highland Heather, Cascade 220, Jo Sharp DK Wool. Acrylic blends can be absolutely wonderful for afghans and children's clothes. I've become a great believer in sock yarn for baby clothes - washer & dryer compatible.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I both wheel and spindle-spin. Since taking up spinning I've been spending far less time with crochet but I always enjoy flipping through my vintage crochet patterns and contemplating just how much time it would take to make a tablecloth out of #30 cotton.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have my straights in a vase with a couple of spindles, my circulars hanging over a hook on a bookcase and double points in a separate upright basket.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 25 years and if not advanced, I've certainly tried many techniques and styles of knitting.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Citrus, lavendar, any non-oceanic clean smells.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Oh yes, wave dark chocolate in front of me and I'm yours. If it has a hint of orange or ginger or something crunchy and nutty inside, double yum.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Cook! I've also got some needlepoint, embroidery, and weaving projects on the go. I started learning bobbin-lace last year but haven't had the time to devote to it.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I grew up with classical and it's still a first love. I listen across almost all of the musical spectrum but don't care too much for most opera, rap or country. Engaging lyrics and complex, intricate melodies hold my listening interest.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Love dark blues, blue-reds, dark greens, periwinkle. Anything with a yellow undertone washes me right out.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my sweetheart and his twin brother, no pets :(
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, yes, no - much prefer the flexibility of shawls.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
It depends on what I'm knitting. I generally prefer classic yarns that are worsted weight or finer but bulky and novelty yarns have their (small) place in my stash.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'd rather not work with stiff fun fur but I once made a charming Elvis wig using a black/silver fun fur.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Lace, wardrobe classics and socks.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Lace shawls for the wow! Interesting, yet classic cardigans and sweaters.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Too many things! One of my unwritten goals this year is to pare down the number of WIPs and UFOs. I'm currently concentrating on a Wool Peddler's Shawl out of my own handspun, a pair of socks and Kaffe Fassett's Pebbles jacket.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circulars for the most part.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Addi circulars, Holz & Stein circulars, Brittany walnut straights, Crystal Palace Bamboo dpns in the larger sizes and the old-fashioned, coated metal needles for socks!
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, and yes.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mum taught me.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I have a soft spot for Miffy by Dick Bruna. She's not really an animated character though.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Anytime I get to hang out with the Flame, my family or friends.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Aside from projects and yarn? Handbags according to the Flame. A good friend just brought back a beautiful make-up kit from Japan and I'm sensing a yen for more gorgeous japanese fabric (either as fabric, or finished items).
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, I like to review them in my local magazine store before I purchase.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Baby Bobbi Bear by Blue Sky Alpacas, any yarns that are hard to come by in Canada (Blue Sky Alpacas, Alchemy, Socks that Rock), Holz & Stein circulars
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
None that I can think of right now, but I'm sure some will come up this year.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, US Size 6 - 9" toe-to heel, 8" ball of foot.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)