Sunday, July 10, 2005

I've spent the end of this week nesting and enjoying the company of loved ones. How else to react to such tragedy in the world? In BC, an additional loss was felt with the death of Chuck Cadman, a man who worked hard to make a difference in victims' rights both locally and nationally. May the road rise up to meet you Chuck...

As a reward for getting through the week, a trip was made out to the Ladner Farmer's Market. This runs every other Sunday during the summer and it just keeps getting busier and more popular. There's a good mix of local and semi-local (Vancouver Island or Okanagan) producers and it's always exciting both to see what's new and find old favourites. I'm still hoping that the Chung's will show up with their salmon and I'm waiting patiently for the lavender lady, but no luck so far. We did find some lovely potatoes, lamb sausages, fresh cheese curds (squeak) and herbed cream cheese, and pie. Boysenberry for dessert after dinner tonight, and a little baby Blackberry-Peach pie for my breakfast tomorrow - mmmmm. The pies do sell out quickly so you have to get there before noon if you're interested.

Now, it wasn't ALL about food out at the market, it was also about the plants. I found some French lavender and Elfin Thyme and I've got it potted up with some Bacopa from the local nursery. The front stairs are slowly gathering a nice set of plants. While we were at the nursery I found a beautiful clematis, but I haven't decided where to put it yet, so pictures of that will have to wait. As well, there was a very interesting succulent that I had not seen before so there is now some Lewisia waiting to be potted up for myself and my mum.




With all this shopping and eating (squeak) did anything fibery happen? Why yes...



I met my goal of finishing the body of Jamaica this weekend, and I'm more than halfway up the 1st sleeve so I'm well on track to get this done before the end of July. Spinning wise, the green merino/silk is coming along, but is not photogenic on the bobbin so you will all have to content yourself with a picture of the Wool Peddler's Shawl in the making.



I think there are probably another 3 skeins in the bump so I'll finish that up before I start chasing all these ladies with their beautiful, handspun, renditions.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Oooo - pretty yarn -is that the Barefoot Spinner stuff? Gawgeous. And congrats on the sweater - it's looking terrific! What a lovely gift you're giving. :-)

8:41 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

The WP is going to be gorgeous!

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo hoo! now i can virtually visit even better! that wool peddler's is going to be beautiful.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

The yarn is pretty, the sweater is pretty! Wow! I love fresh cheese curds.........

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home