Friday, January 20, 2006

1 Down, 4 to go

I'm really serious about finishing up some of my projects before the Knitting Olympics roll around. I'm going to try for 1 project per ring in the Olympic logo. There are several reasons for this.

1. Too many projects on the go. At last count, 21 and I'm sure I missed some.

2. I'm attending the Madrona Fiber Arts Winter Retreat and no matter how well behaved I am, some fibre is going to come home with me.

3. More finished projects between now and February 10th means fewer WIPs and UFOs to distract me from my KOlympicProject.

4. Some of these projects are embarrassingly close to being finished, requiring only buttons, front bands or several hours of knitting to complete them.

5. The Flame is in Paris leaving me more free time than normal.


Project Specs : Wool Peddler's Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawl

Original yarn : Creative Yarns International Superkid Luxe (mohair/wool about a dk) 350g
WP yarn : Handspun from a bump prepared by the Barefoot Spinner, purchased at Maryland Sheep & Wool in 2004, spun slightly thinner than DK

Original needles : 4.5mm
WP needles : 4mm

Changes :

A smaller needle size, thinner yarn and the resulting smaller gauge swatch meant that I would have to do some extra rows in both the garter body and the lace border to maintain the original size. Some friends have knitted this before me and also suggested that the border section be further increased. Taking their advice, I added 20 rows to the garter section and 3 repeats to the lace.

On to the next WIP!

10 Comments:

Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Woo hoo! that looks fabulous!

3:50 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

angela, that shawl is SPECTACULAR!!!!! hope you post a photo of you wearing it! will you bring it to madrona, please?

4:02 AM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

You are going to love that - and this is just the time of year for it. Yummy! I want to find another shawl that is about the same gauge because I don't think I need half a dozen WP shawls but I keep thinking of it when I look at different yarns.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is soooo gorgeous. It looks warm and snuggly. The color will completely brighten the cold grey PNW days.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

I'm with you, Caroline! I could knit that again out of any number of things. We need to be on a dk/worsted shawl hunt. Angela, it's just beautiful, and that color is amazing. I think that has to be one of Maureen's prettiest colors!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That just makes me happy to look at! What a great color and it came together beautifully!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! Very yummy. :) Hmmm, another one on my must do list!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela...the color is just amazing.

Zeila

7:42 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Very, very nice work! I love the subtle striping the color variations give it.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're just pumping out the FOs! I need some inspiration. . .when I think of seaming I get VERY sleepy !!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home