Monday, January 02, 2006

Beginnings and endings.

It's the start of a New Year and I've made no official resolutions regarding my stash or anything else. Those who know me well have noticed that I can never resist a sale and my stash is overflowing. I know better than to resolve not to buy yarn or fibre in the coming year but I'm going to try for a net decrease in the amount of stash if possible and a decrease in the amount of projects on the go. This means that some serious evaluation of Project(ed) Future Wearability will be going on around here. A low score on the PFW (style, fit issues) will mean a trip to the frog pond courtesy of Mr. Ball Winder and Mr. Swift. A very low score on the PFW (bad colour?) will mean a trip out of my stash and into someone else's.


It may seem counter-intuitive to some but as my first step I've finally cast on for my Wool Peddler's shawl. The only thing I can say is that I wear lots of shawls, it's red, and it's from my own handspun. The only problem with the PFW is that this is pretty much my first large batch of handspun yarn and it has plenty of personality aka grist differential. I've decided to use the thickest yarn within the garter section and hope that the lace pattern hides the difference in thickness. The top picture does a better job of showing off the true colour of this yarn, a blend of red, cinnamon, pink and white.



The 1st project to get ripped this year is my Conwy sock. I decided that the fact that I could JUST get it on over my ankle made a trip to the frog pond a good idea. I've started a pair of mindless stockinette stitch socks to tide me over while I decide whether or not to re-start in the same yarn, but with larger needles, or a different yarn and larger needles. Here we have the doomed Conwy socks on the left, the new pair of socks in the middle and a pile of distraction courtesy of my DSis's boyfriend on the right.



I guess that makes it 1 down, 2 up. Hmmmm.

2 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

I have to agree with Mel, WPS is looking lovely, and I think it is the perfect shawl to hide any irregularity. Happy New Year!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hee Hee Hee!!!! I think we're attempting to do the same things with out stashes. Time to arrange a swap?

Ditto with Mel and Jen. The WPS is looking very pretty in your handspun, which, having seen it up close, is nicer than you're making it sound.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home