Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Colour details

Jen was asking for more details so let's see what I can re-call.

6 ozs of merino top, scoured in orvus, rinsed.
Wash-fast acid dyes - magenta, cobalt blue, yellow made up in 1% DOS solutions
Plastic beer cups.

Now, envision me mixing 5 separate colours, lime green, blue, violet, red and orange, and then pouring these colours onto the roving (laid out on plastic wrap) while trying not to dye the table underneath. Some quiet cursing, and the fibre is wrapped up in the plastic wrap, deposited on the vegetable steamer in the crock pot and steamed for a couple of hours.

I'll be doing this soon with some alpaca/silk/merino blend so will try to take pictures and do a better job of documenting.

Of course, she could come up the I-5 for a dye-day...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the cursing that makes the colors POP.

7:01 PM  
Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

OK so you actually made up the green and orange and violet, out of 3 dyes, you didn't just overlap them. I am planning on trying to rainbow dye a hank of white sock yarn and will remember how you did it! I have a steamer basket that came with my dye pot.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boyzee...now Helle should be jumping for joy, seeing this bright and delicious color. Great stuff, dear girl.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home