Friday, February 10, 2006

Spinning away.

I'm away from the blog right now, but hopefully my posting fairy will post this for everybody.

In October, I bought 3 bags of Black All Sorts from Andrea Lawrence of Aurelia Wool & Weaving while I was up in Cache Creek. I had in mind a cardigan, my favourite black, enlivened with all the beautiful brights that I would generally never wear. These tops come as several individual colours, aligned as one top. I'd never worked with something like this before and when I saw the 2 topknots in a very similar colourway to Black All Sorts, I knew they would be the perfect practise run.


Andrea advises spinning from the fold for the best colour separation. I tried this for a while, but reverted to my regular semi-worsted from the end technique as the fastest and easiest for me, with acceptable colour separation. My Jensen bobbins are amazing and I got a full topknot onto each, with room to spare. The left bobbin is only partially finished but we had a brief moment of sun.


The halfbred top spins beautifully and when plied and washed, bulks up into a wonderfully round yarn despite being only a 2-ply. I think the 300yds I ended up with would do nicely as a multi-directional scarf.

4 Comments:

Blogger CatonsvilleCats said...

Mmm that's neato. And I don't see why you shouldn't wear brights. People with black hair usually look great in brights. For example, Emily.

5:35 AM  
Blogger alison said...

Ooooh pretty yarn! Love all those bright colors with the black.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurry up and get back from your trip! I want to know how you liked your prezzies... :)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice job on the spinning. I inherited some stash from my friend and in it was a beautiful back piece of the Kaffe Fassett Pebbles pattern. Sadly my friend has bad wrists and can't finish the thing. I'm so not skilled enough in colorwork to tackle it either or else I would and give it back to her completed! Can't wait to see your progress on it.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home