Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fleeces anyone?

I've got to develop a system where fun, bloggable events don't consume all of my blogging time, before, during and afterwards.

Anyways, it's going to be a day (March 15th) full of posts so I'm going to back date them to the day that I was thinking about all of this so they make more sense.

I had bad fleece news, and good fleece news.

Treenway sent my 2 fleeces (Gotland and Polwarth) Expedited. Our mailman delivered them by leaving them on the front door-step, and they are nowhere to be found. Kerry, I wasn't holding out on you, I just hadn't seen them. Mostly I'm just upset because I'm sure whoever stole them off the front porch wasn't interested in finding 2 gorgeous, unwashed sheep fleeces.

The good news, is that this Romney Cross fleece


finally became this


It makes a wonderful, soft, sproingy 3-ply yarn. Here's a tiny sample.


There are 5 lbs so I think the Flame, and myself may end up with sweaters out of this. I haven't forgotten about the sweater I'm going to knit for him, I'm just having some trouble picking out a suitable design.

I also have 2 bags (about 3 lbs) of Border Leicester X which is quite a bit scritchier that I have to spin with less twist at a thicker grist, or hand off to someone with more of an appreciation for longwools. Any takers? It's a gorgeous dark grey with silver highlights.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is devastating.

So what's the fleece that DID get carded? It's a lovely color!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Terrible news about the missing fleeces. Is the Romney also from Treenway? Looks like it has quite a long staple length and a beautiful color.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home