Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Secret Pal 9

This feels like a cheater post but I haven't managed to get my batteries, camera and USB cable all in the same house yet. (tonight, I promise)

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Galway, Noro's Silk Garden, Rowan's Donegal Tweed Lambswool (the colours were gorgeous), Socks that Rock lightweight, anything from Lisa Souza. Wools of any kind, wool blends (wool/cotton, wool/silk, wool/mohair). I've never been able handle anything with either an itchy/prickly feel to it (including novelties) or what I call that 'used-bathmat-feel' that some microfibre or acrylic yarns can have. They are soft, but maybe a bit too soft and a bit tacky or sticky at the same time.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I've been using a needle roll I made earlier this year. It has a double row of pockets, dpns and circulars in front and the longer straights in back.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
20+ years! My mum taught me when I was a little girl. I suspect she wanted to keep me out of trouble. I'd consider myself intermediate to advanced, as I'm always keeping an eye out for new-to-me techniques and methods.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
I've just discovered Thymes Kumquat Lime hand cream - yummy! I tend towards the citrusy and fresh - lavender, verbena, lemon. Sweet and spicy scents tend to be too much for me.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a serious sweet tooth for dark chocolate, dark chocolate covered ginger or orange peel or almonds or... just plain, smooth dark chocolate. Mmmmmmm.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I'm excited to be getting back into sewing now that my machine and I are in the same house again and I have space. I spin and I also dabble in crochet, cross-stitch, needlepoint, quilting. I'm a cracker-jack interior house-painter and fairly proficient at minor house repairs.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm a classical kind of girl. I tend towards Bach fugues and I have soft spot for dramatic, late 19th century Russian composers :) My other weaknesses are the great singers of the early and mid 20th century - Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee, the best is when The Flame sings along!

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blue. I may be a little over-saturated though. I'm starting a collection of burgundies, plums and blue-reds in response. Yellow-based colours are NOT my friend, so the gorgeous, but evil lime green has a place in my gift-stash but I won't be wearing it.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
The Flame and I have just moved into a house together. No pets yet, although we are considering a cat, maybe.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, hats, mitts, gloves, shawls, but no ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like knitting just about everything but I've really been smitten with lace, plain vanilla socks, textured sweaters and fair-isle knitting recently. No, that's not Everything in that list.

13. What are you knitting right now?
2 lace shawls, 1 pair of fair-isle type gloves, plain vanilla socks, a baby sweater and maybe a sweater for The Flame.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course! I love receiving gifts of thought and skill.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circulars. Addis are my long-time favourite but I have the Kn*tpicks set waiting for me to cast on something new. My hard-to-find favourites are the Holz & Stein ebony and rosewood needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, and yes.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Old, very, very old. I'll post it if I can find it when I start unpacking. At least 15 years old?

18. What is your favorite holiday?
The winter holidays as I get to bring out my once-a-year recipes, reconnect with friends and family who have been away and spend some quiet time with my loved ones.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Spinning wheels , yarn, spindles, patterns, knitting books, beyond that, not much.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't have any magazine subscriptions as I like to review them on the newsstand before I buy them. I really want some of these cool sock holders. In terms of books and patterns Deb Menz's Color Works, Knitting on the Road, or a subscription to Woolgathering would be just wonderful.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not that I can think of, but maybe something will come up this fall.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, US6 :)

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
03/14

1 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

I'm a dark chocolate fan myself. It was fun reading this meme about you! I hope you have lots of fun with the Secret Pal 9

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home